Monday, January 4, 2010

what a way to start the new year!

I found myself in the Emergency Department for 4 hours yesterday, after my infection became worse. I was having a case of Urinary Tract Infection for the past 5-6 days which did not get any better despite a course of antibiotics, garlic pills, and 100% cranberry juice (which, by the way, is one of the foulest, sourest things I've ever tasted). Two nights ago, my temperature fluctuated from really cold to a high temperature, to a point I was shivering and could only be calmed by blasting the heater at my face. It happened again yesterday after lunch, so it was off to E.D we went.

Apparently the infection has spread up to my kidneys, which explains how lousy I felt. So I was put on 2 courses of strong antibiotics via IV drip. Somehow the nurse who put my first IV in (as pictured above) made a bloody mess (pun intended). It turned out the first IV put in was too small, and put into a smallish vein, so a more senior nurse decided to save us all time and put another IV drip in, through my wrist.

I left the hospital late yesterday night, and am now on an oral dose of antibiotics for the next 5 days.
Which leaves me with the runs.
And it's also the time of the month for me.

Oh woe!

No comments:

Post a Comment