Saturday, December 17, 2011

FOOD-OUT: Adriano Zumbo Patissier, Sydney

Dessert extraordinaire Adriano Zumbo does not disappoint. So much so that he converts the non- sweet tooth.

We were caught in the rain on our way to Star City (Pyrmont), and when we finally made it to there, there it was - ZUMBO in bright lights calling us to him like a fly to a UV light (minus the 'being zapped to death' part)

Hallelujah - it's ZUMBO!

I loved, loved, loved the whole decor and style of the place. Zumbo is often referred to as "Australia's Willy Wonka" and this place does attempt to take on that persona. Bright pink and yellow lights, multi-coloured pipes along the walls, and a weird shoe sculpture thingamajiggy. And I loved the 'macaron' display:

Macaron display - "In case of emergency, break glass"

Really, how cute is that!
  Dessert Train

We opted not to have a go on the dessert train; but instead have the individual sized whole cakes. They only do takeaway if you order just the individual cakes, but this is perfectly fine as Star City has made their 'food court' pretty fancy-shmancy, so we just sat there, ordered some teas, and enjoyed our desserts. The desserts on the train looked like it'd been hit by a train - there was minimal presentation, much unlike the other beautifully presented individual sized cakes. I'm SURE it would've tasted awesome too, but these were so darn awfully purdy as a picture:

Tastes Like Doris
(Caramel rum mousse, orange confit, orange crunch, chocolate crèmeaux, chocolate dacquoise)

This was a very yummy dessert, with great textures and flavours, but to me the combination of orange and dark chocolate is a tried-and-tested failproof combo. Not that I ever complained.


Man Goes Peanuts
(Peanut butter crunch, mango compote, mango burnt honey mousse, pain)

I was eating this very pleasant tasting dessert but it wasn't particularly outstanding; until I realised that only the stylo-mylo dessert wunderkinds would even THINK of putting peanut butter and mango together as a dessert. Hmm.... would then fresh mangos and peanut butter on toast work then..??? It is my firm belief that you can put peanut butter with ANYTHING and it'll taste good. Hmm.... stay tuned.


Passionfruit Tart 
(Passionfruit curd, pate sucree)

A massive fan of curd tarts (that is, curd tarts - not turd carts! Ah- spoonerisms!), I would say this was easily the best I've ever eaten - the crust is what I'd describe as perfecto! 
Grandma's Soap
(Blueberry compote, fresh blueberries, lavender chantilly & almond cème)

If Grandma's soap really tasted like that, I'd easily develop a strange addiction. I'd eat this everyday, my oh my! The hint of lavender, the creaminess of the chantilly cream, the taste of the blueberries, and the amazing crust made this my favourite dessert.


The Legendary V8 Cake
(8 delicious layers - Cinnamon Creme Chantilly, Morello Cherry Jelly, Pain D'épices, Toasted Nougat Brulee, Vanilla Chiffon Cake, Vanilla Ganache, Pistachio Crunch, Pistachio Dacquoise)

Christmas certainly came early for me when I spotted the V8 cake for sale, individually-sized! When browsing their website about 5 months ago, I think I remember that the V8 cake was not available in the individual size; instead a whole large cake will need to be pre-ordered. It says "Christmas V8 Cake" so perhaps this was just a Christmas special? 
Well, indeed it was the special-est! Ever since seeing it on Masterchef I've been dreaming about having a taste - and I must've piggybacked on the Husband's 30th Birthday wish (as it was his actual birthday when we went to visit) and my wish came true - woohoo! The 8 layers did not disappoint - think of eating 8 different cakes in ONE mouthful ! 

Revealing the v8 cake


Only SOME of the macarons we tried (L-R: Can't-remember, Lychee, Lime & Mojito)

We tried altogether 10 different flavours, including salted butter caramel (AWESOME!), watermelon (interesting!), and coconut, lavender and chilli (Way too weird). What I liked about the macarons is they aren't too sweet, like the other ones I've tasted elsewhere.

By now you may have realised we tried an awful number of desserts, just the two of us. After visiting Zumbo on the Husband's birthday, he, the aforementioned non- sweet tooth, requested (or demanded) that we return the very next day, and each time after having our cakes, we'd takeaway the macarons to eat for breakfast :P

Everytime I think of Zumbo, I recall an old Chinese song I've heard as a child - watch the youtube video below and sing along, replacing the chorus "ja ja jambo" with "za za Zumbo" with equal gusto and enthusiasm of the singer:

 
 "Za Zumbooooo!!!!"


Adriano Zumbo Patissier
Shop 1, Cafe Court, The Star, 80 Pyrmont st, Pyrmont, Sydney
(Entry Via Edward St)

Opening Hours:
Mon-Thurs:
11am till 11pm
Fri & Sat:
11am till Midnight
Sunday: 11am till 10pm

Adriano Zumbo Pâtissier on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

  1. I was just there this morning, went straight from the Fish Market. Tho, didn't realise the dessert train is only open after 6pm, UGH! Love the decor as well! So cute and fun, just like all his desserts. Tried the v8 for first time today and LOVED it too! I feel we really have quite similar taste buds and should go makan makan one day... LOR! Hahhaha...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Check out my blog on cooking Adriano's creations!
    http://sosweetpatissier.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete